Monday, January 18, 2010

Down at Athens

Hey everyone! Welcome to Downtown Discovery! My name is Justin, and I will be your tour guide through these exciting adventures to uncover the great tastes in downtown Athens, Georgia.

Before we get to the good stuff, let me give you a little information on Athens.

The city of Athens is built around the University of Georgia that was named in honor of Athens, Greece, an ancient city known for it pursuit of knowledge and culture. The cultured life surrounding the college attracted wealthy families, and that is why Athens is now one of the largest college towns in all of the United States. Downtown Athens is now a thriving cultural center of businesses, restaurants, and bars. (Fun fact, Athens is in competition with some city in Kentucky for most bars in a college town. I'm pretty sure we are winning now!) Downtown Athens now has 53 restaurants situated in walking distance from the University of Georgia.

My mission: Explore these restaurants undercover as a seemingly handsome yet unpredictable college student and provide an accurate review of the establishment along with any other relevant information in this blog.

Mission accepted!

Oh wait, there is also a few things you should know about me as well.

First off, I like to use exclamation marks! I am not yelling at you it is just my preference. I am horrible at spelling and frequently make up words or put words where they don't really belong. One of my favorite made up words is "Bowchickabowow" or "Bowchicka." Note that it is not "Bowchickawowow" which I find to be offensive.

An important aspect to consider is that I am going to give the everyday persons review of these restaurants. I am not a food critic, I do not usually give reviews, and I will not be corrupted by anyone who would want me to write a good review on a bad restaurant. Not that it is really likely that will happen since I will be deep undercover, but I just wanted to be clear. Also, I am not that crazy about vegetables, but I will give it a try just for you guys. Not promising anything though!

If you think I did not give the restaurant a fair chance or an accurate review then let me know! If you think I should try something that you think I would like at a restaurant that I am going to, then let me know! Basically, if you want to talk to me, then leave a comment.

Now that we are all done with that boring stuff I bet you can't wait to hear about my extravaganzas through the heart of downtown Athens!!!

Well... I hate to say it, but you are going to have to wait until my next post. I know it is a bit disappointing right now, but I assure you that it will be well worth the wait!

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun venture. I love Barbarito's- why not give that a try? One place I've been meaning to try is Salad Works. You'll have to let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exclamation points are vastly overused! So try to restrain yourself. And be happy you live in the age of spell-check. That said, I too look forward to your reviews. Just so you know, my favorite downtown restaurants are: Clocked, The National, Amici's, and Athens Sushi Bar. My least favorite include Mellow Mushroom, Transmet, and any place situated in a basement. But those are just my opinions. Enlighten me!

    ReplyDelete